I grew up in the Midwest so shrimp seemed like an extravagant dish only meant for special occasions. Turns out it’s pretty easy to make shrimp ceviche! It looks, sounds, and tastes like a fancy-ass delicious seafood dish, with minimal work and not a huge blow to your budget.
Easy ceviche de camaron (shrimp ceviche)
- 1/2 kilo shrimp (frozen or fresh) (About 1lb) I've used frozen (thawed) shrimp and fresh and both work well for this recipe
- 7 limes/lemon I prefer a mix of 5 limes/2 lemons, but as long as you use enough of both to keep the shrimp covered to "cook" it's fine
- 1-1 1/2 cucumber
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 large avocado 2 if they are small, but I prefer mine avocado friendly because of yumminess.
- 1/2 red or white onion
- 1 jalapeno remove the seeds if you don't like so much heat (the seeds are what brings the spicy)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro more or less according to taste (I like more, my husband prefers less)
- 1/2 cup clamato juice/V8
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- hot sauce optional
- tostadas optional
- Chop up shrimp into small pieces and cover completely with lime/lemon juice
- Put in a glass bowl with lid/baggy/Tupperware and store in fridge for about 2 hours for shrimp to "cook" it will turn white/less opaque when it is done
- Dice everything else, mix with seasonings and clamato juice
- Combine shrimp and veg mix, and serve over tostadas with guacamole (if preferred)
See more recipes here!